'Beating the Invader' Leaflet - May 1941
This leaflet was issued by the Ministry of Information in co-operation with the War Office and the Ministry of Home Security.
A rousing message from Prime Minister Churchill is followed by eight headings giving instructions in a question and answer format.
- STAND FIRM – What do I do if fighting breaks out in my area?
- CARRY ON – What do I do in areas which are some way from the fighting? Will some roads and railways be reserved for the use of the Military, even in areas far from the scene of action?
- ADVICE AND ORDERS – Whom should I ask for advice? From whom shall I take orders? Is there any means by which I can tell that an order is a true order and not faked?
- INSTRUCTIONS – What does it mean when the church bells are rung? Will instructions be given over the wireless? In what other ways will instructions be given?
- FOOD – Should I try to lay in extra food?
- NEWS – Will normal news services continue?
- MOTOR-CARS – Should I put my car, lorry or motorcycle out of action? How should it be put out if action?
- THE ENEMY – Should I defend myself against the enemy?
The original recipient of this leaflet was Mr. L. Ridley, of Upper Selsdon Rd, Sanderstead. This document comes from the collection of Robin Grainger.