Long demolished, Flintfield House was a large Victorian/Edwardian Villa first acquired by the RAF in 1917, under the Defence of the Realm Act.
It was purchased outright by the Air Council in 1920/21 and used as Kenley airfield’s ‘offices and mess,’ according to the author, Peter Flint. It is likely that Charles Lindbergh may have spent the night there in June, 1927, when bad weather delayed his return to Paris.
When the newer Expansion era Officers’ Mess was built in 1932, Flintfield House fulfilled other functions, and was used by Kenley’s batmen during the war years.
On 14th May, 1942, No.485 (New Zealand) Squadron note in their Operations Record Book that the Squadron Orderly Room was removed from ‘Flintfield’ to dispersal.
In the early 1960’s it was the Air Ministry Registry and Post Office, with a flat on the upper floor, occupied by a Group Captain. The building was finally demolished in October, 1980.
Many thanks to Kent Battle of Britain Museum. http://www.kbobm.org/