Bellman hangars were first designed in 1936. They were intended to be temporary structures, easily assembled and dismantled by unskilled labour. There is one still standing at Brooklands Museum.
The one at RAF Kenley was constructed on the site of the old No.5 Belfast truss hangar, which had been destroyed during the Battle of Britain, on 18/8/1940. It was officially condemned as being unsafe and dismantled in February, 1983.
RAF Kenley by Peter Flint
Peter Skinner collection
Many thanks to Alix Chalky White and East Surrey Museum