On 19th October, 1945, No.435 squadron, RCAF, had only been at Croydon for a few days when one of their Dakotas (KG439) stalled and dived into the front garden of a house in Mitchley Avenue, Sanderstead, not long after take-off.
On 20th October, 1944, at 20.09hrs, Batt.2./Art.Abt.(mot) 485 under the command of Hauptmann Neusch, launched the first V2 to land in the Croydon area.
Following the ending of the war in Europe, the principal allies convened in Potsdam to establish the means to administer Germany after her surrender. The first Foreign Ministers’ Conference was held in London. As a result, the Soviet delegation, under Vyacheslav Molotov arrived at Croydon on 9 September 1945.